Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dosch Reflection 1

 
The students that I worked with were considered by my MT to be in the advanced literacy group. All of the students except for one seemed interested and motivated by the activities we were doing. They were all paying attention and following my directions to sit on the carpet and not speak while I am speaking. The other student that was not paying attention was doing well until we got to the letter tiles activity. We were sitting on the ABC carpet and she kept trying to place her letter tiles on the letters on the carpet and needed constant re-direction back to the activity we were doing. I believe all of the students learned what the lesson objectives, but some were more obvious about it than others. I think that my students learned a lot from the lesson, and I thought it was pretty engaging because of the game. The game helped segment into the next activity, which was the creating/manipulating word families to make new words with the letter tiles. The lesson was short enough that most of the students had no trouble paying attention. The student that wasn’t paying attention often has behavior problems and will sometimes act like she isn’t paying attention just to test the teacher, but usually if you ask a question relating to the material, she almost always gets the answer right. As a teacher, I noticed that I was much more relaxed while teaching the small group, and I was much better able to handle students who were misbehaving during the lesson. I felt like I was more effective as an instructor and as a disciplinarian. After that lesson I felt much more confident to teach the next lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment